Avocado Muffins are low in sugar, dairy free and packed with nutrients! They are perfect for kids as a fun healthy treat, snack or special breakfast! Click here for how to make them or watch the video below!
The avocado acts as a substitute for butter or oil in this recipe and replaces it with healthy fats and nutrients. My youngest guy will not eat avocados so this was a great way to get the amazing health benefits that avocados offer in him. They are also a different way to use avocados if you have a bunch on hand and you are worried that they will go bad.
The key to these muffins is to make sure all of the avocado is fully blended. If you have a chunk left over it can taste weird when they are baked. I love that these avocado muffins are lightly sweetened with the banana and maple syrup. I made a note that you may want to add more syrup if you are used to a sweeter muffin. We like making some regular size muffins and some mini muffins. I also made a note in the recipe to reflect that for the yield.
The chocolate chips make up for the slight green hue to these muffins. My children loved these so much they ate an entire batch in one weekend.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 bananas medium to large
- 3 tbs maple syrup or honey see note 1
- 1/2 cup almond milk or favorite plant based milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour of choice I use whole wheat (a gluten free 1-1 blend will also work!)
- 2 tbs ground flax seed
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- ¼ cup chocolate chips feel free to add more if you want!
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with baking cups or lightly grease a muffin tin
- Mash 1 banana in a medium bowl
- Whisk in eggs and vanilla and set aside
- Place the 2nd banana, peeled avocado, milk and maple syrup in your food processor and blend until there are no lumps
- Pour into the bowl with the mashed banana, eggs and vanilla and whisk to combine
- Whisk in ground flax seed
- Fold in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Using an ice-cream scoop or spoon portion into desired muffin tin
- Bake for 18-20 minutes for regular muffins and 10 minutes for mini muffins
- Remove from heat and allow muffins to cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan