These baked sprinkle donuts are lighter and much easier to make than traditional fried donuts but don’t worry they are still incredibly delicious and a huge crowd pleaser! They come together easily with super simple ingredients and are such a fun treat or special breakfast.
Savanna received the Dash Mini Donut Maker for Christmas as we as a baking challenge kit which a donut pan and recipe. We thought the baking challenge recipe was much better. I adapted it slightly to simplify the ingredients. Then I tested it out on the Dash Maker and with a muffin pan and it works great on all of them.
Tips & Adaptations for Baked Sprinkle Donuts
- These can be made as regular donuts or as minis. If you do not have a donut pan or maker you can use a mini muffin tin to make baked donut “holes”.
- They are great plain or you can kick them up a notch and add a vanilla glaze and sprinkles.
- I used heart sprinkles for a valentine’s day theme but they can be made with any regular sprinkles any time of the year.
- If you go through a lot of sprinkles we like these natural sprinkles.
- For smaller quantities we like the super pop natural sprinkles or regular sprinkles.
- You can use a spoon, but we find using a piping bag for making donuts to be easier. If you don’t have a piping bag you can use a gallon freezer bag and cut off the tip.
- I find it easiest to fill using a cup.
- Tie the top so the batter doesn’t leak out.
- Use half the batter at a time so you don’t overfill the bag.
As mentioned above this recipe originated from the baking challenge kit Savanna received for Christmas. I highly recommend it if you have a child who enjoys baking. It is super cute and fun to do alone or she did as a fun winter weekend playdate.
Baked Sprinkle DonutsPrint Pin Rate
- 4 tbsp butter (dairy free works as well) soft or melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour or a 1-1 gluten free blend
- 1/2 cup milk regular or unsweetened almond
- 1/4 cup sprinkles + extra if adding on top of glaze (see above for my favorite natural sprinkles)
Vanilla Glaze Ingredients
- 1 cup 10x sugar
- 1 - 2 tbsp milk of choice start with 1 1/2 tbsp if you like thiner add another 1/2 tbsp
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 or plug in mini donut maker.
- In a small-medium bowl mix together flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg, mix to combine and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer at medium speed or a whisk mix the butter and sugar for 1-3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg and mix on medium speed or whisk until throughly combined.
- Mix in milk and vanilla until throughly combined and then slowly fold in the dry ingredients (the flour mixture).
- Fold in your sprinkles of choice and transfer the batter to a ziplock or piping bag to portion your donuts - see photo above. (You can do this using a spoon but I find the piping bag easier). If making mini muffins use a tablespoon or small scoop.
- Each donut cup or muffin cup 2/3 - 3/4 full.
- Dash Mini Donut Maker: 2 minutes then flip and bake 1-2 minutes more.
- Regular Donut Pan:
- Mini Donut Hole Muffins - 8-10 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
- While donuts are cooling whisk together the glaze ingredients.
- After the donuts have cooled (glaze sticks better) dip each donut into the glaze and then set on a wire rack (put a towel or parchment under for easier clean-up) and top with extra sprinkles if desired.