Looking for a way to use all of the hard boiled eggs your kids dyed that doesn’t include a salad? Make a protein packed smoothie with it! This Cherry Almond Hard Boiled Egg Smoothie has 5 simple ingredients and is adaptable for what you have on hand.
We had fun experimenting with the Ecco Natural Egg Dye Kit this year. Before quarantine we were in Whole Foods and Savanna saw this set in the check out line. She knows that I think food dye is really bad for us and asked if we could try it :). It was very easy to use and the eggs came out beautiful! The dye does not bleed through to the egg either. It said you had to wait 5-7 minutes per egg for the color to come out but we didn’t have to wait that long.
They both love to dye a lot of eggs and really have fun doing it. The problem is only my son, John, really likes hard-boiled eggs. I was trying to think of another way to use some of them besides egg salad or a Cobb salad. I decided to try and pop one in a smoothie for extra protein. It blended up really well and this was a yummy way to get more of us to enjoy them. If you are like me and don’t like eggs for breakfast this is a great way to get the benefits of nutrient dense eggs and a complete breakfast. If you are interested in learning more about eggs this is another great read.
Cherry Almond Hard Boiled Egg Smoothie Adaptations
- Frozen Cherries – can be swapped for frozen or fresh berries (if they are not frozen you may want to add some ice
- Frozen Cauliflower – swap with 1/2 banana (fresh or frozen) – both of these add creaminess
- Almond Milk – any milk will work!
- Almond Butter – any nut butter will work, but peanut butter tends to have an over powering taste
- 1 cup Almond Milk any milk of choice works
- 3/4 cup Frozen Cherries can be replaced with berries
- 1/2 cup frozen cauliflower can be replaced with 1/2 banana
- 1 tbsp almond butter can use cashew or a mixed nut butter
- 1 hard boiled egg peeled
- Peel your hard boiled egg
- Gather the rest of your ingredients
- Add all of your ingredients to a high speed blender
- Blend on high until fully incoporated - Enjoy!