I am so excited to share with you my easy and healthy Apple Cake (it is paleo friendly)!
This recipe is adapted from a box of old recipes from my great aunt. The original recipe claims to be an Irish Apple Cake recipe, but when I did some research most Irish Apple Cakes have a custard sauce and I wanted this to be a simple healthy treat cake that used A LOT of apples:)
Adjustments I made to make this healthier Apple Cake
- The flours – I tested this recipe with a blend of regular and whole wheat flour as well as the new Bob’s Red Mill Paleo Flour Blend. You can buy it in bulk on Amazon or at Whole Foods (it was on sale this week!). I must say I like the Paleo blend better, it is a little more moist.
- Sugar was replaced with maple syrup and cut from 2 cups to 3/4 cup and it was plenty sweet!
- Oil was reduced by a half of a cup and I added applesauce to enhance the apple flavor.
- I added some spices and omitted the nuts to simplify the chopping process and make it a full allergy friendly cake option!
Why I love this Easy and Healthy Apple Cake
- No Peeling! I tested this recipe out with and without peeling and you could not tell the difference. The kids ate it both ways! The apples were chopped slightly smaller when I didn’t peel them. I did this because my children complained the chunks were too big in the first version (with peeled apples). I would recommend about 1/2 – 1 inch size pieces.
- Comes together with NO MIXER! I used one bowl to mix the dry ingredients and a liquid measuring cup to mix the wet ingredients. Then combined them into one large bowl.
- I love this cake, because it is allergy friendly and a great option to bring to a gathering. Although, I will say we did sample one of the versions with whip cream and it is definitely a fun addition if you do not have a dairy allergy or you are not on a paleo diet. I actually think this is a great holiday cake if you do not like pie and with the addition of whip cream it would feel holiday special 🙂
- This cake is filled with a lot of apples with the skin on plus apple sauce so you can ream all of the nutritional benefits from apples.
- It is a great recipe for kids to help out with. Savanna enjoyed cutting the apples, mixing and sprinkling the sugar on top! You can check out the video she helped me with below!
- 4 diced apples you do not have to peel!
- 3/4 cup Oil I used Avocado
- 3/4 cup real maple syrup or honey use maple syrup for paleo version
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups of flour blend of your choice see note below
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp apple pie spice or 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg & 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp raw sugar for sprinkling on top optional
- Pre-heat oven to 350 and prepare a 9 inch springform pan with oil or a spray
- Add all of your dry ingredients into a large bowl (flour, salt, baking soda and spices)
- Whisk to combine
- In a large measuring cup or medium bowl combine all of your wet ingredients (oil, maple syrup, eggs, applesauce and vanilla)
- Whisk together your wet ingredients
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk to combine
- Fold in your diced apples
- Add your batter to your prepared springform pan
- Sprinkle raw sugar on top (optional)
- Bake for 45min - 1 hour (until a toothpick comes out clean)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour + 1 cup all purpose
- 3 cups of Bob's Red Mill Paleo Blend