Yogurt and granola are a weekly breakfast staple around here! We developed this new healthy cinnamon walnut granola and homemade slow cooker yogurt during quarantine because of items we over-stocked on. Peter is a milk monster. I was so nervous that we would not be able to get milk that I bought more than he could drink! I also stocked up on a lot of freeze dried fruit to stretch us through grocery orders.
My kids love these freeze dried fruit packs as snacks and they are great for travel since they are so light and easy to pack. We didn’t need them as much as I thought and didn’t use many since we didn’t need to go snacks. We decided it would be fun to try them in granola. This granola is a new favorite around here so we wanted to share it with you!
Tthis healthy cinnamon walnut granola that has less than 3 grams of sugar per serving. It is naturally sweetened with maple syrup and freeze dried fruit. The freeze dried fruit gives it a fun crunch and the sweetness my kids love. This crunchy granola delivers healthy fats, protein, and energy-boosting whole grains with with very little sugar. Bonus – the whole thing is ready in about 30 minutes from start to finish! I thought it would be fun to share this granola recipe along with what I made with all of the extra milk. Be on the look out for the slow cooker yogurt recipe and video on Friday!
- 3 cups oats
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts can replace with almonds, cashews etc...
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbsp oil
- 0.5 - 1 ounce about a 1/2 cup chopped freeze dried bananas, apples or berries
- Preheat oven to 325 and line a sheet pan with parchment paper
- Roughly chop walnuts
- Measure oats, flax, walnuts and cinnamon into a medium measuring bowl and mix together
- Measure and whisk together vanilla, maple syrup and oil in a small bowl
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix until throughly combined
- Spread on parchment lined sheet pan
- Bake for 20 minutes (stir and rotate pan half way through)
- Fold in freeze dried fruit after you take it out
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving