I own about a million cookie cutters but I know most people don’t so I decided it would be a fun challenge to see if I could design a simple kid friendly bunny cookie with just a circle cookie cutter. For the design I tried to come up with ingredients, tools, and options that most people have on hand.
When I saw the weather was going to be rainy at the end of this week I thought it would be fun to make it a bake and book! I combined efforts with my friend, Megan Monaghan, (teacher extraordinaire) and we hosted our first cook & book for Easter. She read the The Bad Easter Bunny and we hosted a live class where we discussed the book and baked cookies on zoom with whoever wanted to join. The Bad Easter Bunny actually has a wonderful lesson about how powerful the word Thank You is. Ironically we are living through this lesson right now as we are owe a lot of Thank You’s to all of the designated workers (doctors, grocery workers, mail and delivery people) who are out there risking their health for us.
I also made two shorter videos with my children to show you how to make these Easy Bunny Sugar Cookies. As a bonus if you happen to have a flower cookie cutter we made spring flowers and a butterfly out of a flower cookie cutter.
Click Here if you want to hear The Bad Easter Bunny reading
Click Here to watch us make the dough and the cookies
Click Here to watch us just roll the dough out and make the cookies
What You Will Need to Make Easy Bunny Sugar Cookies!
Ingredients for Sugar Cookies:
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted – melt in a large bowl to mix the rest of the ingredients in
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
1 2-3 inch circle cookie cutter (if you do not have a cookie cutter you can use a jar or cup)
1 flower cookie cutter – optional for a butterfly
Rolling Pin (If you do not have a rolling pin you can use a glass bottle or cup)
Parchment Paper (optional – I find it makes the mess easier)
Sprinkles or other similar small candies
Chocolate Chips or Raisins
Skittles (look cute but get hard when you bake them), M&Ms, Jelly Beans or other similar candy
Icing – I will be decorating before they bake but you also have the option of baking them plain and then icing with a vanilla buttercream and adding the decorations on
See the notes section of this post for the icing recipe.
How to Make Easy Bunny Sugar Cookies!
- Preheat your oven to 350
- Follow these instructions from my easy no chill sugar cookie dough recipe to make your dough
- Roll a small portion your dough out to about 1/6 – 1/4 inch thick
- Using your circle cookie cutter – cut 3 circles
- Use 1 circle for the face and the next to circles roll like a worm and shape the ears
- After you have your bunny head silhouette complete decorate – see picture above for reference
- Ears – decorate with sprinkles or a similar candy – press in to stick
- Eyes – chocolate chips, raisins or any other small candy or piece of dried fruit
- Nose – Raisin, jelly bean, skittle or M&M or similar candy
- Whiskers – Sprinkle or another candy or dried fruit you can cut into small thin slices
How to Make Butterfly Cookies from a Flower Cookie Cutter
- Follow steps 1 -3 from above
- Next use your flower cookie cutter cut 1 flower and your circle cookie cutter to cut 1 circle
- Use the flower as the base & wings
- Take the circle and roll it up like a worm for the center body
- Place the body across the middle and then decorate – see above picture for reference
- Wings – sprinkles or similar small candy – press in to stick
- Eyes – Chocolate chips, raisins or small dried fruit or candy piece
- Mouth – Sprinkle or a piece of dried fruit sliced
- Atenas (optional) – sprinkles or similar candy
Hope you enjoy this fun spring & easter activity with your family ❤️