One cup of cherries contains 90 calories with an ample supply of fiber, protein, vitamin A and C, a powerhouse of antioxidants, and a natural source of melatonin.
1. Helps With Arthritis And Inflammatory Conditions
Cherries’ abundant supply of antioxidants, specifically polyphenols, have been linked to reduced levels of nitric oxide — a compound associated with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
2. Helps Lower Blood Sugar Levels In People With Diabetes
Cherries contain the antioxidant anthocyanin which in studies have increased insulin production by 50 percent.
3. Helps Improve Memory
Anthocyanin, also helps enhance memory
4. Helps You Get A Good Night’s Sleep
Cherries are the only natural source of melatonin, a hormone that regulates the body’s internal block and sleep-wake cycles
5. Cherries Help Your Immune System
Cherries’ supply of vitamin C helps aid your immune system
6. Cherry Juice Aids with Muscle Recovery in Workouts
Due to the concentrated amounts of anthocyanins inside, tart cherry juice has the ability to reduce muscle pain and weakness after intense strength training and long-distance running
Cherry Recipe Ideas
1. Chopped over plain greek yogurt with sliced almonds (drizzle of honey optional)
2. Chopped in a salad with feta and sliced almonds and a balsamic vinaigerette
3. Use frozen pitted cherries in a smoothie with 1/4 cup greek yogurt, 1 cup almond milk, 1 tbs almond butter and 1/2 cup riced cauliflower
4. Farro Salad with toasted chopped almonds & goat cheese
5. Baked in your favorite muffin!