Lightened Up Carrot Cake simply dusted with powdered sugar with less oil and sugar for a delicious and healthy spring treat. We love it just dusted with powdered sugar, but you can also dress it up with a simple glaze. I think it is perfect for a spring brunch when you don’t want a heavy dessert. I adjusted the flour to be half whole wheat half all-purpose, cut 2/3 of the sugar and replaced half of the oil with applesauce.
Lightened Up Carrot Cake Adaptations & Tips
- For those who have allergies it is dairy free and can be made with gluten flour.
- This recipe can also be made in a 13×9 or 2 8 inch rounds.
- Add a glaze instead of just dusted sugar (I would recommend if you are making 2 8 inch rounds). I recommend these:
- 2 ½ cups flour 1 cup all purpose, 1 ½ Whole Wheat OR 2 1/2 cups 1-1 Gluten Free Blend
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lb carrots
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup oil
- ¾ cup apple sauce
- Preheat Oven to 350 and prepare pan (1 13x9, 2 8 inch rounds or bundt pan)
- Whisk together dry ingredients (flour – salt)
- Shred Carrots in food processor (I pulse to make sure I don’t puree) and add to bowl with flour and dry ingredients
- In the food processor process sugars and eggs (about 20 sec)
- With the machine still running add oil until emulsified (20 sec)
- Stir wet ingredients (processed from food processor) into dry ingredients
- Fold in walnuts if using
- Bake for 35 – 45 for a bundt cake or 30-35 mins for 13x9 or 20-25 minutes for 8 inch layers
- Let cool (1-2 hours) before icing
Did you make this recipe?I would love to see your creations! Snap a picture and tag @kristanwatson or #foodplaygo on Social Media!