For our second Mother Daughter Book Club we chose Hidden Figures by Margot Lee. This book has so many wonderful teaching messages and is perfect for many of the current movements that are circulating. It was not intended but it fits perfectly with woman empowerment and the women supporting women movement that is going on! For this meeting we used conversation dice to spur discussion. We also read Counting on Katherine by Helaine Becker to learn more about Katherine and Apollo 13. We did lunch at the beach and decided to make moon themed cookies and take a modern twist on popular 60s food.
Hidden Figures illustrates how these 4 black women overcame gender and racial barriers to succeed in a highly challenging STEM career. This book is a great illustration and lesson of how blacks and women were treated during this era. Additionally, it also teaches our daughters to never give up, never take no for answer, always believe in yourself.
Mother Daughter Book Club Chapter 2
Hidden Figures Lunch Menu:
- Moon Crescent Cookies – Gluten Free Almond Flour Crescent Cookies from Eating Bird Food
- Pigs in the Blanket – were at every cocktail party we bought these fun pretzel ones from Whole Foods
- Cheese Rounds which look like “moons”. This was also an ode towards the theme of instant and snack foods and fondue that started!
- Jello – not pictured
- Simple Green Salad – we took a modern take and made a ranch rainbow salad for fun – be on the lookout for more on this!
- Other ideas: Kraft Mac and cheese, shrimp cocktail and Swedish Meatballs!