Paleo Cherry Almond Muffins are bursting with sweet juicy red cherries and almonds! They are the perfect special summer breakfast. Since you have to pit and cut the cherries these take a little longer to make than some of my easy one bowl muffins, but man are they are worth the extra few minutes.
There are 2 versions of this recipe a paleo version with almond and arrowroot flour and one with almond flour and half whole wheat flour (not paleo friendly). I really love both versions and they taste very similar (the paleo version is a little bit more moist).
I originally developed this cherry muffin with whole wheat flour and the almond flour because I wanted the balance of flours and texture and the flavor from the almond flour. If you don’t have an allergy or follow a special diet you may not want to bake with all almond flour because it can be expensive. But I strive to offer adaptability for different diets and allergies for the variety of families that visit my site and follow me so I wanted a version for those of you that are gluten free!
For the version with all Paleo Cherry Almond Muffins flour all you have to do is eliminate the almond milk. Just a note when you bake with all almond flour it browns a bit more than regular flour.
Paleo Cherry Almond Muffin Ideas
Since cherries always seem little extra special to me I find they are a great options for:
- Bringing as a treat with coffee to a neighbor who may need a lift
- Making for someone who is sick or just had a baby
- Bringing when visiting with friends are family
- Baking a brunch
- To make them as a treat instead of a breakfast you could add chocolate chips
- Make with your kids – mine love pitting cherries!
- 2 cups of flour paleo & gluten free version: 1 3/4 cup almond flour + 1/4 cup arrowroot flour or whole wheat version: 1 cup whole wheat + 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or any neutral tasting oil
- 2 eggs
- Whole Wheat Version only: add 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups pitted and quartered cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds optional
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare your muffin pan with liners or a spray (I like to use avocado spray)
- Pit and cut cherries into quarters
- In a medium bowl mix together flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- In a separate bowl or large liquid measuring cup whisk the eggs, vanilla, oil, maple syrup and almond milk (for the whole wheat version only) until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until combined
- Fold in the cherries and chopped almonds (if using)
- Using a large cookie or ice-cream scoop portion your muffins into your muffin pan
- Bake on the middle rack for 18-20 minutes (20-22 for whole wheat version).
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes in the pan before removing.