For Meatless Monday this week I made a Roasted Vegetable and Black Bean Buddha Bowl with Lemon Tahini Sauce. It was super easy and well received by everyone so I wanted to share! I thought it would also be helpful because these have all been easy to find foods and ones that you can stock and use towards the end of your grocery run. This is a yummy veggie loaded meal that is chock full of nutrients, gluten free, vegan, dairy free and surprisingly kid friendly! It was also super easy to make. While the kids were playing I roasted the vegetables with olive oil, salt and cumin.
For the last 10 minutes I added the black beans to warm them up and give them a little flavor. That is when I make the sauce and rice. I prefer brown rice or quinoa and my children prefer white so I like to use frozen rice or 90 second rice to make this recipe easier. I found these great little individual white rice bowls at Costco that my kids loved! Chris and I enjoyed it as a bowl mixed with the sauce.
Savanna and John asked for theirs to be separated (Peter ate it all combined). I have had more luck lately with combined foods and I didn’t want to push this one since there was a lot of vegetables and a new sauce!
Feel free to adapt this Roasted Vegetable and Black Bean Buddha Bowl to your family’s preferences. Broccoli, carrots and chickpeas would also be super yummy! This meal was a great change of pace. It is full of nutrients and great for a variety of diets or allergies!
- 3 cups cooked Rice Brown, White or Quinoa*
- 1 15 oz can unsalted black beans
- 1 lb cauliflower
- 1 lb sweet potatoes about 2 medium
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp - 1 tsp cumin depending on how much cumin your family likes
Lemon Tahini Sauce
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tbs water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Crumbled Feta
- Preheat oven to 400
- Wash and cook sweet potatoes in the microwave for 3 minutes (this will help to cut them and cook them for the same amount of time needed for the cauliflower)
- Chop your cauliflower and sweet potato in small pieces (about 1 inch pieces)
- Place your vegetables on a parchment lined baking sheet and add oil, salt and cumin and toss to coat
- Roast vegetables in the preheated oven for 20 minutes
- Take them out and give them a mix, add black beans and roast for about 10 more minutes until the vegetables are lightly browned (total of 25-30 minutes of cooking time)
- While the vegetables are roasting, make your sauce
- Place the tahini, water and lemon juice, salt and garlic powder in a small bowl and whisk until throughly combined
- If you are using a fast or frozen rice prepare it while the vegetables are roasting for the last 10 minutes
- When the vegetables are roasted, place the vegetables and rice in a bowl. Top with the dressing and toss to coat (Optional sprinkle with feta). Enjoy!