Are you hosting family or friends over the holiday weekend or hosting a crowd for a big football game? If so I have the perfect easy crowd pleaser – My Slow Cooker Beer Braised Short Ribs! Prep it in the morning and serve with a fun salad, rolls, lettuce cups and toppings when its time! This allows you to enjoy your friends and family and let the slow cooker do the work. We had 30 people for Peter’s birthday last year and this was perfect!
The prep work and ingredients are not too long and it can all be done in about 15 minutes.
I prefer slow cooker meals when I do not have to take the time to brown the meat first and dirty another pan, but for this recipe I think it is necessary. In this case you are still doing minimal work to feed a lot of people and/or have at least 2 meals. To save time, while the meat is browning I measure and chop all of the necessary ingredients.
After the meat is done browning, it is important to deglaze the pan and cook everything in the pan for few minutes first. When you get all of those brown bits from the meat it intensifies the flavor in this meal.
Once you are done, pour it over the meat and you are done! To make entertaining simple I bought a few bags of a fun Costco salad (I love the sweet kale one) to serve it with. For the sliders, I also bought pre-cut square cheese to make assembling the sandwiches easier. Then I laid out lettuce cups, shredded cheese, caramelized onions and avocado as well.
Adaptations & Serving Suggestions for
Slow Cooker Beer Braised Short Ribs
- Easy rolls for entertaining
- Lettuce Cups for those that are gluten free
- With pasta or rice (it yields a decent amount of liquid for a sauce)
- In a tortilla – my children’s favorite
- Half the recipe for a weeknight meal
- If you or your guests don’t eat beef you can make with chicken thighs (my children actually really loved it this way)
- 6 lbs boneless short ribs
- 2 large carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 large yellow onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 3 bay leaf
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 12 oz. lagers
- 1 tbs Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt divided
- 1 tablespoons pepper divided
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat
- Working in batches season short ribs with salt and pepper and cook them for 1-2 minutes on each side until a dark golden brown crust forms - transfer seared ribs to the slow cooker
- While the short ribs are searing, mince garlic, finley chop your onion, carrots and celery
- Add onion, garlic, 1 beer, celery, carrots, bay leaves to pan and simmer for 5 minutes
- Transfer mixture to slow cooker and add 2nd beer and beef broth
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours
- Strain braising liquid and add all but two-three cups back to the slow cooker - see note
- Shred short ribs and return them to the slow cooker with remaining braising liquid, keep on warm until you are ready to serve
- If you are serving over pasta, rice or mashed potatoes save all of the braising liquid
- This recipe works with chicken broth if you forgot to get beef broth
- This recipe also works with chicken thighs
- Cheddar or Havarti Cheese Squares and/or Shredded Cheese for those having in lettuce cups or without rolls
- Caramelized Onions