Pour yourself a glass of wine and enjoy these tender and delicious Slow Cooker Red Wine Braised Short Ribs. They are our favorite weekend comfort meal and so easy to make! They are a meal that tastes like you have been kitchen for hours but takes very little hands on time! This recipe requires a very simple and short ingredient list.
I love making this recipe for winter birthdays, holidays (Christmas Eve, New Year’s Valentine’s Day …) or for an indulgent cozy weekend meal when we are not eating out. When we can entertain again I find it the perfect meal to serve when you are having guests in the winter. All the work is done early in the day so you can enjoy your guests when they arrive!
Tips & Serving Suggestions for Slow Cooker Red Wine Braised Short Ribs
- Our favorite way is with a thick pasta such as fettuccine or pappardelle. I also find this the best way to serve it when I am serving it for guests. I break up the short ribs into the sauce and make a big bowl and use the juice as the sauce for the pasta.
- If you do not like fettuccine or pappardelle I think they would work well with a rotini, cavatappi or gemelli
- If you are gluten free you can use a gluten free pasta – Banza is our favorite gluten free pasta!
- Gnocchi (roasted, boiled or pan seared) or as a lighter version it works great with roasted cauliflower gnocch
- As a lighter and gluten free version we like it over cauliflower purée as well. You can make your own or take a short cut and buy it.
- Adding the herbs are optional, when I don’t have it still tastes great but I love the earthiness it gives this recipe.
- Finishing it with parmesan cheese is optional as well.
- My kids will eat it all together but prefer it separated.
- I usually make either a roasted vegetable (1lb of cauliflower, broccoli , string beans, brussels sprouts..) or to make it super easy I serve it with a large fun bagged salad!
- 3.5 lbs boneless short ribs I like to buy at costco
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic about 5-6 cloves
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 cup red wine
- Rosemary & Thyme - optional I like to throw in a few sprigs if both for the earthiness but they can easily be omitted
- Serving Suggestion: we love it with a thick pasta (1/2 - 1lb) such as fettuccine or parpadelle. But it also goes well with gnocchi (1 lb) (roasted, boiled or pan seared), cauliflower gnocchi or cauliflower purée. See post notes above for more ideas.
- parmesan cheese for serving optional
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat
- Working in batches season short ribs with salt (pepper optional) and cook them for 1-2 minutes on each side until a dark golden brown crust forms - transfer seared ribs to the slow cooker
- While the short ribs are searing, mince garlic, measure and whisk remaining ingredients together
- After you have moved all the seared ribs to the slow cooker add the red wine mixture to your pan, scrap off all of the bits that are stuck to the pan and simmer for 2-3 minutes
- Pour wine mixture to slow cooker
- Add herbs if using and cover and cook on low for 8 hours
- Keep short ribs whole or shred short ribs into desired size to soak up juices - option to remove herb sprigs or leave
- Serve over your choice of grain or vegetable purée using the braising liquid as a sauce
- Optional: Sprinkle with parmesan
- Tip! If I am serving it with pasta (1/2lb) or regular gnocchi (1lb) I usually make either a roasted vegetable (1lb of cauliflower, broccoli , string beans, Brussels sprouts..) or to make it super easy I serve it with a large fun bagged salad!
Did you make this recipe?I would love to see your creations! Snap a picture and tag @kristanwatson or #foodplaygo on Social Media!