Simple Heart Strawberry Yogurt Muffins are perfect for a Valentine’s Day breakfast, snack or healthy treat. They come together easily with simple ingredients and taste like a cupcake but are healthy enough for breakfast! Additionally, the yogurt keeps them moist and adds protein!!
This is a simple standard muffin recipe where you mix all of the dry ingredients and then all of the wet/liquid ingredients together and then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Next, fold in your add-ins gently, then portion out your muffins and finally bake!
Adaptations and Tips for Strawberry Yogurt Muffins
- These can be made with regular flour or a 1-1 gluten free flour blend – I love the Bob’s Red Mill one best. As a note the texture is a little different with the gluten free blend. Additionally, I found they stuck to the plastic liners, but worked perfectly in silicone baking cups.
- These can also be made dairy free by using a dairy free yogurt alternative. I like forager cashew yogurt the best!
- Be careful not to over mix/whisk your batter it can cause your muffins to delate
- Strawberries mixed into batter: My children do not love cooked fruit so preferred them without which is why I wrote the recipe with them mainly on top. I enjoyed the muffin better with more mixed in so feel free to add up to a cup.
- The strawberry hearts do not have to all be the same, mine were all a bit different, check out the video in the recipe on how to cut them.
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour 1-1 gluten free flour blend works as well - see note below
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cups granulated sugar I use organic or coconut sugar
- 1/4 avocado oil or any neutral oil or melted and cooled butter
- 1 cup plain Greek Yogurt 0% or 2% works OR for a dairy free version I tested with cashew yogurt
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp pure vanilla
- Strawberries sliced into hearts - check out the video on how to cut them I used 4-5 depending on the size
- 3/4 - 1 cup Optional: chop leftover strawberry pieces to mix into batter (you can add up to a cup of strawberries - see note below)
- Other Options: Add a sprinkling of raw sugar over the top, or 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips or sprinkles for special occasions
- Preheat oven to 375 and line a muffin tin with paper cups or use a non-stick spray (I love the avocado oil ones)
- Cut strawberries into hearts: Cut off tops of strawberries and then cut lengthwise with the tip at the bottom (about 1/4 inch thick - it doesn’t have to be exact mine were all different), I then cut a little v out at the top to make them look like hearts
- Measure and mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a medium mixing bowl and set aside
- In a large liquid measuring cup or another medium mixing bowl measure and whisk together the oil, yogurt, eggs and vanilla
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together until thoroughly combined (careful not to over mix)
- Portion out your muffins using a large scoop or until each one is about 2/3 full
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (for regular flour it was about 22 minutes and for the gluten free version they took a little longer and it was closer to 25 minutes)
- Let cool for 5 minutes in pan and then remove and cool for another 10 minutes on a cooling rack