Are you looking for creative ways get your kids more protein? Try these turkey bacon & cheese egg muffins! They come together in one bowl in less than 5 minutes and are ready in total of 20 minutes! Eggs are a great source of protein to keep you full and focused for the morning, but we don’t always have time to make them on busy school mornings so we have really loved these egg muffins.
Egg Muffins are a great make ahead option, just pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds! I like to make a big batch of these on the weekend and then keep some in the refrigerator and some in the freezer for future mornings.
These are also a creative lunch box idea!
My children do not love a ton of sandwiches so I am always looking for different lunch box ideas. We love having these in the rotation. Personally, I do not love eggs for breakfast, but I like these with a side salad for a fast lunch! I can even see them as a good breakfast for dinner option on a week night with a lot of activities.
I have also made these as mini muffins with just cheese for my toddler. They are the perfect size and a lot less messy compared to scrambled eggs!
Tips & Adaptations for Turkey Bacon & Cheese Egg Muffins
- Paleo Friendly by taking out the cheese
- Turkey Bacon alternatives: Regular Bacon, Ham, crumbled sausage
Add 1 heaping cup of chopped veggies to the bottom of each muffin (about 1/6 of a cup per muffin) before you add the egg mixture. Some suggestions are; spinach, peppers, tomatoes, chopped broccoli and kale.
4. Freezer Friendly: to reheat place in microwave for increments of 30 seconds, be careful not to over do it because they will get tough
5. Make mini muffins – yield 18 muffins (if adding veggies you have to chop them very small for the minis)
- 6 Eggs
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese I used a cheddar mix
- 1-2 pieces cooked and chopped turkey bacon I planned and saved some
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Coat 6 cups of a muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper/silicone liners
- Crack the eggs into a medium bowl or liquid measuring cup
- Whisk to blend the eggs until smooth (this will take less than a minute)
- Add the chopped turkey bacon & cheese and stir to combine
- Divide the egg mixture evenly among the muffin cups
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until eggs are set
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to eat
1. This is a flexible recipe - it can be made paleo by taking out the cheese, you can add spinach, peppers etc.....About 1 heaping cup of chopped vegetables spread amongst the 6 muffins. Place on the bottom of each cup and then pour egg mixture over. 2. These can be frozen - to reheat - place in microwave for increments of 30 seconds, be careful not to over do it because they will get tough 3. They can be made as mini muffins and yield 18 muffins.