Vegan & Gluten Free Banana Date Brownies we were very skeptical! We love chocolate and as much as we eat healthy we also love our treats around here, especially brownies! My children ask for a treat every night (frankly I am looking for something sweet most nights after dinner) and I try (key word) and keep them healthy when we are not having them for a special occasion. For an everyday treat I like to keep them naturally sweetened and if I am able to and have the time, I will make them so they also include an extra fruit or vegetable. For the summer I like to stock outshine or good pop ice-pops for when I do not have time to make something.
Why we love these Vegan & Gluten Free Banana Date Brownies
These brownies are very rich, super fudgy (just the way we like them) and made with all wholesome ingredients! They are naturally sweetened by the dates and you get extra nutrients from the banana, as well as protein from the nut butter. With the added bonus that they are flourless and require less than 10 ingredients to make.
Additionally, they take about 10 minutes to whip up and only 15 minutes to bake! What are your favorite healthy brownies? These taste really yummy chilled on a hot night- have a great weekend!!
- 1 cup pitted dates about 4-5 ounces - if you have a scale I use 4 1/2 ounces
- 2 tbs water
- 1/3 cup nut butter I used cashew and almond
- 1 banana
- 2 tbs avocado oil or your neutral tasting oil of choice
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F and line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper
- In a food processor, process the dates and the water for 30 seconds until it is almost a paste
- When done, scrape down the sides and add in the nut butter, banana, and oil and process for 1 minute or until smooth (will look almost like a smoothie)
- Open and scrape down the sides and add the cocoa powder and salt
- Pulse a few times to combine and then process for about 20 seconds or until combined, they will be thick and sticky.
- Using a spatula with a little avocado oil or oil spray spread the mixture from the processor into the brownie pan and evenly spread throughout the pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Let cool at least 15 minutes before slicing
- Eat immediately or store in the refrigerator