Make sure to put these on your weekend baking list! These Chocolate Chip Pretzel Blondies are an indulgent treat and will be a sure hit for kids and adults at your next backyard or picnic night. They come together easily in one bowl and are gluten and dairy free adaptable!
Tips & Adaptations for Chocolate Chip Pretzel Blondies
- If you have time and want to kick them up a notch I highly recommend you brown the butter. It adds a nutty caramel hint to them that takes them over the top! (Note: that does not work with dairy free butter)
- Any pretzel works I have used square snaps before. I find the size of the pretzel determines how many squares you cut.
- To make them gluten free I like to use this Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Flour Blend .
- To make them dairy free I like to use Earth Balance Butter and these dairy free chocolate chips or the Trader Joes 72%.
- I love using a balance of semi-sweet and dark chocolate chips but you can use whatever you have on hand.
- If you don’t have parchment paper you can just use cooking spray, I find it easier to lift them out and then cut them.
- 3/4 cup 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter For Dairy Free I tested with Earth Balance
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour For Gluten Free I used Bobs Red Mill 1-1 Baking Flour
- 1 cup heaping if you love chocolatesemisweet, milk or dark chocolate chunks or chips (a combination can be used) If you are dairy or soy free make sure to use a dairy free version (I like Enjoy Life or Trader Joes 72%)
- 20-24 mini pretzels any shape works
To Brown Butter (Optional)
- Melt butter in a sauce pan set over medium heat. Swirl the pan occasionally to keep the butter cooking evenly. Cook until the solids on the bottom turn a light golden brown and the butter has a fragrant, nutty aroma. Keep a close eye on it as it will go from perfectly brown to burnt fast (If that happens I recommend to redo it). Remove the brown butter from heat and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- If you are not browning the butter melt it in the microwave or a sauce pan
- While the butter is cooling preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8-by-8-inch pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat eggs, egg yolk, sugar, vanilla, salt and baking powder vigorously by hand or on high speed until light in color and thick but not stiff (about 1-2 mins).
- Slowly pour and whisk in the brown butter until fully incorporated (If using a mixer reduce the mixer to low).
- Fold the flour in by hand with a spatula, until fully incorporated.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread the dough in the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- Place your pretzels in even rows (I did 4 rows of 6 you could make them bigger and do 4 rows of 5)
- Bake on the bottom rack for 25 minutes and then move to the top rack for the remaining 10-15 minutes or until top is set and starting to brown around the edges.
- Place pan on a wire cooling rack and let cool to room temperature.
- Lift out the blondies using the parchment paper, then use a large chef knife to cut into 20-24 even squares (the pretzels help with even cutting).
Did you make this recipe?I would love to see your creations! Snap a picture and tag @kristanwatson or #foodplaygo on Social Media!