This easy slow cooker chicken has only 5 simple ingredients and is great for a a day you have allocated for a flex / freezer meal. Last week I talked about sharing more easy slow cooker meals and about having a flex/freezer day meal while meal planning and I thought this dish was perfect.
This dish was created because I did not have all of the ingredients of a different slow cooker meal I was making. I was so happy when it was still delicious and realized it didn’t need the extra ingredients. It was great as a simple family friendly meal that I could have allocated for a day when I was not 100% sure I was going to cook. I almost always have chicken in the freezer (or make sure to stock it if I am accounting for this meal) and the rest of the ingredients are staples that I normally have stocked.
If you decide that morning you want to cook, you can defrost your chicken in water. After lunch simply add the chicken to your slow cooker and then mix the remaining ingredients in a small bowl, pour over the chicken, set it to high and your mostly done!
Serving Suggestions for Easy Slow Cooker Chicken
I chop my vegetables at lunch too and then add them with 1-2 hours left. This eliminates the cooking time for these and a pot/pan to clean up. I have made with zucchini, sugar snap peas and asparagus but almost any vegetable will work with this!
To make this meal even easier I like to serve it with steamed freezer rice or cauliflower rice for a paleo version. My children don’t like their foods together so I separate them and they have raw carrots (sometimes too)!
If you want to add a little more flavor you can add toasted sesame seeds or I think some fresh herbs would be a great addition to this dish (sage, rosemary or thyme), but I wanted to leave this as a simple family friendly meal!
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup white wine chicken broth can be used
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup (for paleo version)
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb vegetable of choice (asparagus, zucchini, broccoli, carrots, sugar snap peas)
- Place Chicken in your slow cooker
- Mix Remaining Ingredients in a bowl and pour over chicken
- Set slow cooker to low and cook for 6-8 hours or high and cook for 4 hours
- Optional - Add your vegetable in for the last hour (if you are cooking a tougher vegetable like broccoli or caulflower I would put it in for the last 1 1/2 - 2 hours)
- Serve with your sides of choice! See notes below for my serving suggestions