There is 5 minutes of prep work work for my Easy Slow Cooker Whole Chicken and it can make 3 meals! Depending on the size of your family you can get less or more from this but on average it will make 3 meals in one week or 2 meals and soup for the freezer.
Easy Slow Cooker Whole Chicken Tips
My biggest tip for this meal is to gather all of your ingredients so you have them all ready when your hands are messy. Another tip is to get under the skin if you want flavor in your chicken. I cut a little slit in the chicken skin and rub the garlic and the salt under the skin. Then place everything in your slow cooker and that’s it! You will have a moist and juicy chicken in 8 hours (or 4 on high). You can check out my video to see how easy it is to prep it and how I get under the skin.
The chicken is so moist and tender that it normally falls apart as I am trying to take it out of the slow cooker. We eat the chicken plain the night of with simple veggies and potatoes or rice. I love eating the carrots and our baby does as well. My older children do not like cooked carrots so to keep it simple they have raw carrots that night. We only like roasted potatoes which is why I did not put them in.
When we are done eating that night I take the rest of the chicken off the bones to save for later meals. Additionally, I strain some of the juices for soup.
From this 4 1/2 lb chicken, I was able to get 2 additional meals. The second was two large chicken quesadillas with a side salad or veggies and the third was a soup, which yielded about 4 servings. I have included a full list of leftover ideas and ingredients as well as loose directions for the soup below.
Leftover Meal Ideas for Slow Cooker Chicken
- Use in a salad for lunches or a light dinner
- Make Chicken Salad
- Chicken Quesadillas with a side veggie or salad – my children told me this was their favorite way for eating the chicken
- A taco wrap with avocado, cheese and spinach
- Make a simple soup – you can do this on the stove but I put it back in my slow cooker one afternoon before school pick-up so I did not have to wait for it to cook on the stove
Ingredients for soup:
- 1 1/2 cups leftover diced chicken
- a handful of baby carrots (about 1 cup chopped)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1/2 cup leftover chicken juices
- 1 tsp salt
Directions for Soup:
- Chop Carrots and Chicken
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker
- Cook on low in slow cooker for 3 -4 hours
I am always looking for more ways to make meals from leftover chicken so please leave a comment with your favorite second meal!
- 4-5 lb whole chicken
- 1 tbsp seasoning salt (divided)
- 10 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp herbs de provence (thyme, rosemary, marjoram, savory and lavender) or your favorite mix of dried herbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 cup baby carrots or chopped regular carrots
- fresh herbs - sage, thyme & rosemary I use a handful
- Set out and measure all of your ingredients
- Cut the onion in quarters
- Place chicken on a cutting board or set of paper towels (something that is easy to clean the raw juices)
- Take out bag of giblets
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels
- Cut a 2 slits in the chicken chicken skin and rub 5 of the garlic cloves under the skin (spread throughout the chicken)
- Drizzle and rub the chicken with the olive oil (try to get some under the skin)
- Rub 1/2 of the salt under the skin
- Sprinkle with remaining salt and dried herbs
- Place half of the onion, remaining 5 garlic cloves and a bunch of dried herbs in the cavity of the chicken
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker with remaining, onion, herbs and the carrots
- Set to low for 8 hours
- We use this as one main meal for our family and then use the leftovers for 2 other meals - see leftover ideas above.
- Check out my video for a visual on how I prepare my chicken
- You can prep the chicken the night before and set your slow cooker in your refrigerator and then put it on the next day