The perfect healthy game day recipe or another fun and different way to mix up how you serve chicken for dinner! These Healthy Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Wings are made with a simple homemade teriyaki sauce that comes together with 5 simple ingredients! It is made with maple syrup and coconut aminos to make it gluten free and Paleo friendly and it has about half the amount of sweetener than your average teriyaki sauce has.
After you mix up your sauce simply place all the ingredients in the slow cooker and set it on until its game time (or dinner time)! You will have healthier, juicy, fall off the bone chicken wings without the hassle of frying. Right before you are ready to serve them, place them on a parchment lined sheet pan and broil for 5-7 minutes. This will give you the “fried” effect without the wings actually being fried.
How can I make these Healthy Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Wings Even Easier?
- You can buy minced ginger if you do not want to buy a whole chunk of ginger and peel and grate it. Additionally, Trader Joes and some other grocery stores sell little frozen ginger cubes if you do not use ginger often!
- You can also buy your garlic minced or in frozen cubes!
- Or don’t make the sauce at all! Use 1 cup of a bottled Teriyaki: this one from Primal Kitchen is Gluten Free & Paleo Friendly or if you do not need it to be Paleo, I like the simple ingredients in this one.
If you are looking for other fun and easy game day recipes check out my slow cooker beer braised short ribs!
- 3 lbs of chicken wings
- 1/2 cup of coconut aminos paleo and gluten free or soy sauce (not gluten free or paleo)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch optional
- 2 tbsp water optional
To Make the Teriyaki Sauce & Wings:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut aminos or soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, maple, garlic and ginger.
- Place wings into a slow cooker. Pour sauce mixture over and gently toss to combine.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6-7 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours.
- Preheat your oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place wings onto the prepared baking sheet and broil for 5-7 minutes or until caramelized / browned. See note on broil time.
- Serve immediately or if you like your wings saucy follow the remaining instructions.
For a thicker sauce & saucier wings:
- Mix together 2 tbsp of arrowroot powder or cornstarch with 2 tbsp of water.
- While the chicken is broiling pour the sauce from the slow cooker into a small pot and whisk in the arrowroot/water mixture.
- Bring to a low boil and cook until it has thickened (5-7 minutes)
- At this point you can pour the sauce over the wings and serve or place them back in the slow cooker on warm until you are ready to serve (I wouldn’t leave them on long too long because they could over cook).