I absolutely love these Greek Chicken Bowls because they are perfect for a hot summer day, to pack for a picnic, as well as a weeknight and make ahead win. I also enjoy making this as an easy meal when I am having guests over. The make ahead and easy prep work allows me to spend time my guests and not cook while they are visiting (and I always receive a lot of compliments on it!).
The chicken is juicy and tender and the bowl ingredients are gluten free and can be made dairy free by eliminating the cheese so great if you have a family member or a guest with dietary restrictions. This recipe was adapted from Two Peas in Their Pod to our families preferences and I am so glad I discovered it.
Tips & Adaptations for Greek Chicken Bowls
- This can be made ahead and I love the make extra because it makes a great easy lunch as well!
- If you work this is a great meal prep lunch meal you can make for a few days.
- To make this even easier – I like to buy frozen rice, cauliflower rice or quinoa. It also allows you to customize it for members of your family who like different rices. I enjoy quinoa and cauliflower rice and my children prefer regular white rice.
- Tahini Sauce: I use my recipe, but you can also serve this with store bought hummus or tzatziki.
- Olives: you can use green if you prefer
- Tomatoes & Peppers: this works with both feel free to use only one.
- Cucumbers – if you are not a fan you can use some chopped romaine instead.
- I think the pita chips and naan make it fun for kids but you don’t really need it.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts 2 large breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 - 3 cups cooked rice, cauliflower rice, regular rice, quinoa or farro (not gluten free) amount depending on how much your family eats
- 2 cups grape tomatoes halved
- 2 cups chopped cucumber into half moons
- 1 cup kalamata olives pitted
- 1 cup Tahini Sauce
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup diced red peppers optional
- Serve with Naan or pita chips optional
For the chicken:
- In a large plastic bag or shallow pan (I use a 9x13 glass dish) combine chicken, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and salt
- Marinate for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour (or up to 6 hours)
- When ready to cook the chicken, place chicken breasts on grill and grill about 5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the chicken. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and registers 165 degrees, using an instant read thermometer. Remove the chicken from the grill or grill pan and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Slice the chicken to desired size or leave whole if tenders.
For the Greek bowls:
- You can serve it as a “bar” and have everyone make their own based on their preferences OR
- Divide the rice/ grain among bowls. Top with sliced chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, tahini sauce, and feta cheese. Tuck the naan or pita chips into the side of the bowl, if using.