My Mom’s Crumb Cake Recipe is simply the best with a thin cake and lots of crumbs! This is perfect for a small brunch or lunch or feel free to double it and bake in a 9×13 to serve a crowd!
My mom’s old fashioned crumb cake recipe that was a favorite of mine forever is now one of my children’s favorites! I like to make it on Mother’s Day in memory of her since she always made it for my birthday (which is in May too). I am sharing it now because I think it is great for spring gatherings and brunches. We had it twice this spring, once for Mother’s Day and then again for John’s communion.
How to Make this Easy Crumb Cake Recipe
First lay out your ingredients, which is a fairly short list and almost all staples:
- Baking Powder
In the picture the bottom is for the cake and the top is for the crumb mixture.
Next whisk together the cake ingredients and add to prepared pan. The cake will be thin!
Then mix together your crumb ingredients with a spatula or your hands.
Using your hands crumble the crumb mixture on top of the cake layer.
Then bake and serve – it is that simple!
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do and if you are looking for more brunch ideas you can check them out here.
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
Remaining Crumb Mixture Ingredients
- 1 stick 1/4 lb butter melted and cooled (see step 2)
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray / butter an 8 inch round or square pan (if doubling use a 13x9 pan)
- Melt 1/4 lb (1 stick) of butter and let cool while preparing cake
- Mix together the dry ingredients
- Add in the wet and mix until throughly combined
- Spread into prepared pan
- Mix dry ingredients together
- Add melted butter and mix until well blended
- Crumble on top of cake
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until very lightly browned and toothpick comes out clean
Really, really good. Crumbcake is my favorite food, so I’m always up to try a new recipe. Unfortunately, I don’t have anywhere near the mom energy Kristan has, but this was super easy in terms of both ingredients and equipment. Very easy to make and the prep was minimal mess. Can’t wait to make it again.
Thank you so much! I am so glad you enjoyed and let me know ☺️