Spinach Walnut Pesto!! Did you know you could make pesto without basil? I am not regularly stocking herbs right now (hoping my garden grows some soon), but was craving pesto and had an overstock of spinach so decided to try it out. You can actually make pesto with any leafy green so if you happen to have too much kale, arugula or any other leafy green you can try it out.
This easy pesto comes together with 7 ingredients in 5 minutes. It is adaptable to what you have on hand and works well with so many things! It is a versatile sauce that has a big nutrition punch thanks to the heart healthy walnuts and vitamin packed spinach. Pesto is awesome on fish, chicken, steak, pasta, pizza or sandwiches you name it! It is a great way to sneak in some extra greens and nutrients.
Adaptations for Spinach Walnut Pesto
Spinach – Use Arugula, Kale or Parsley – all of these have a bit of a stronger taste
Walnuts – Almonds or pine nuts work as well!
Olive Oil – Is heart healthy and I like the hearty flavor it lends but if you happen to be out any neutral oil will work! Avocado would be my next suggestion
Parmesan – Romano works too!
Some kids love pesto and some don’t it is a very specific thing so I am not going to call this family friendly but it was too good not to share and so easy to do just for yourself! Next week I am using it as a marinade for chicken – be sure to check out my stories to see if I can get my kiddos over the green color on their chicken😉
- 2 -3 ounces spinach
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 -2 tbsp olive oil I use 1 1/2 it depends on how oily you like it
- 1 - 2 tbsp water depends if you are using for a spread or as a sauce - add more for a sauce and less for a spread
- Measure and place spinach, walnuts, parmesan cheese, garlic and salt in a food processor
- Process until finely chopped
- With processor on, slowly add olive oil through food chute
- Last add warm water and process until blended
- I have tried making this in my vitamix as well and it works but just not as well as the food processor
- Spinach - Use Arugula, Kale or Parsley - all of these have a bit of a stronger taste
- Walnuts - Almonds or pine nuts work as well!
- Olive Oil - Is heart healthy and I like the hearty flavor it lends but if you happen to be out any neutral oil will work! Avocado would be my next suggestion
- Parmesan - Romano works too!