As we settle into the lazy days of summer I rely heavily on salads and raw veggies to make cooking easier and faster. (I also try to not use the oven on super hot days). So I thought I would share some of my favorite choices! First up this strawberry summer salad is bright and light and one of the perfect summer lunch or side dish.
Included in this salad are staples that I buy once a week anyhow. You can use this as a base for leftover grilled chicken, pork or steak, take it to a potluck or as a simple lunch salad or side dinner salad! When I make this as a single lunch salad I don’t measure and use just a simple drizzle of olive oil and balsamic and a pinch of salt.
Exact measurements are below for a larger salad (2 big lunch or dinner salads) and dressing but you can make this easier with your favorite bottled balsamic dressing as well! Toasted almonds are optional but I love the crunch they add! When I made this as lunch salad for Chris and I, I usually add turkey or serve with a side of toasted sourdough to round it out as a meal.
Adaptations for Strawberry Summer Salad
- Even though strawberries are the highlight of this salad, if you happen to be out you could use raspberries
- If you don’t have enough strawberries feel free to use a blend of berries
- Feta – replace with goat cheese
- Nut / Seed Crunch: I love the crunch they add I used toasted almonds here, but walnuts or cashews or pistachios would work too. You could also you pumpkin or sunflower seeds like I did for my single salad version.
- Dressing: I have a vinaigrette I created for it but you can use your favorite bottled dressing. A poppyseed dressing would also work really great here as well.
- For Kids! I deconstruct it – My children go in and out of actually liking spinach but I find just exposing them to it a little is helpful! Besides the spinach they love everything else but they just don’t love them combined.
- 5 oz half clamshell or 7 cups Spinach or Mixed Greens
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 avocado
- 2/3 cup feta
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds optional
- 2 tbsp lemon juice about half of a lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic glaze
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pinch of pepper optional
- Whisk or shake all ingredients together until combined. Note you could also use your favorite bottled balsamic vinaigrette.
- When I do this as a single lunch salad, I do a simple drizzle of olive oil and balsamic and a pinch of salt.
- Measure and pour mixed greens in a large serving bowl
- Slice strawberries and dice avocado into 1/2 inch pieces
- Add to greens along with the remaining ingredients
- Just before you are ready to serve or eat drizzle on the dressing and toss(mix) a few times.