This Turkey Bacon & Avocado Salad is an awesome meal because it is adaptable to your families preferences, fun for a picnic night and can be a flexible last minute meal. It works for various diets and is loaded with protein for a fast and easy satisfying meal. I find it especially perfect in the summer when you crave salads and need flexibility, it has been a repeat on my summer menu.
It is my families take on a “Cobb” salad. We don’t all love hard boiled eggs so we eliminated them, swapped the gorgonzola for feta and the bacon for turkey bacon for a lighter spin. Additionally, if you don’t have a salad lover in your family this meal works great deconstructed as well. It has plenty for everyone to choose from and it does not have to be in the traditional salad form. I try and serve it later in the week when we have leftover chicken from a previous meal, but it doesn’t fit into the week that way the salad is satisfying without it (my kids actually prefer it without).
Turkey Bacon & Avocado Salad Adaptations & Tips
- If you have a vegetarian in the family keep the bacon & chicken on the side
- Cheese: Feta makes everyone happy in our house, but feel free to use a cheddar, manchego or another pungent cheese if you prefer.
- If you have someone who is dairy free you can keep the cheese on the side or have a dairy free alternative as well!
- Dressing: Everyone enjoys ranch so I either make my own or buy this one. My husband and I also enjoy this with cilantro and avocado dressing or a cilantro lime or green goddess one.
- It is gluten free meal
- Seeds: we love the extra crunch and flavor it gives, but you can add some chopped nuts instead or eliminate if you do not stock sunflower seeds
- If your family doesn’t like tomatoes you can use diced peppers instead
- I love it for a picnic, I bring it deconstructed and it is super fast to toss together and you don’t have to worry about keeping anything hot
- It is a great 2nd night meal on a week you grill chicken
- Works for bulk meal prep lunches too
- Make a big batch of turkey bacon for breakfast and save half for the salad
- You can serve deconstructed for those who don’t love a traditional salad or combined foods (For my kids:nthey all like at least 4-5 out of 7 ingredients, which is enough for a meal and a salad doesn’t have to include lettuce)!
- Since everyone does love a little carb on the side I usually serve this with sourdough or crispy pitas
How my younger children enjoy it:
Watch me make it here!
- 10 oz chopped romaine Lettuce about 6-8 cups
- 8 oz cooked turkey bacon
- 4 oz feta cheese crumbled or block cut into small cubes
- 1/2 english cucumber chopped into half moons about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 heaping cup grape or cherry tomatoes halved or quartered
- 1 1 /2 avocados diced
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 -2 cups diced chicken optional and depends on how big of eaters you have
- Dressing: My Kids love ranch and my husband and I enjoy ranch too so we most often use that. But my husband and I also really enjoy it with this cilantro avocado dressing if I have the time and the ingredients or it pairs well with a store bought green goddess dressing! see more dressing suggestions in notes
- Cook your turkey bacon according to package directions or I cook mine on a parchment lined sheet pan at 400 for 15-20 mins.
- While the bacon is cooking chop and dice your remaining ingredients
- Once the bacon is cooled chop into 1 inch pieces
- Add the lettuce to a large bowl
- Add cucumber, tomatoes, avocados, and sprinkle with salad
- Then add turkey bacon, chicken if including, feta, and sunflower seeds
- Drizzle with dressing and toss to combine