Vegan Apple Pie Crumb Bars are a great healthy and easy alternative to apple pie that comes together easily in one bowl. For a gluten free version you can substitute a blend of almond & oat flours. The gluten free version is a little darker in color.
They are perfect for smaller gatherings and a great healthy apple pie fix without the stress and mess of making an apple pie! They would also be a great for addition to a dessert table or brunch and for mingling (when we can) because you don’t need a plate and fork to enjoy!
How to Make Vegan Apple Pie Crumb Bars
This one bowl recipe could not be any easier just mix one batch of dough for the crust and the topping! I love using this apple tool to make the peeling and slicing easier.
- Set out your ingredients
2. Mix your flours in a bowl and then add in your wet ingredients until a dough forms
3. Press 3/4 of your dough into the bottom of a parchment lined pan
4. Add your apples
5. Crumb and press the remaining topping on top and bake for 40-45 minutes in an oven preheated to 350
6. Let cool & enjoy!
For another easy and healthy apple pie alternative check out my apple cake!
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour or 3/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup organic sugar or coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon all spice
- ¼ cup avocado or coconut oil or neutral tasting oil of your choice
- ½ cup apple cider ***FOR ALMOND FLOUR use ¼ cup
- 2 medium apples peeled and thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray (I prefer an avocado one) or parchment paper
- Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and all spice in a large bowl. Work in oil and apple cider with your fingers until a dough / coarse crumbs form.
- Press 2 cups of the oat mixture (3/4 of the mixture) into the prepared pan
- Arrange apples all over the crust
- Sprinkle the remaining mixture evenly over the apples and pat firmly into an even layer
- Bake until the top is golden brown and the apples are soft, 40 to 45 minutes
- Cool completely on a wire rack (at least 30 minutes before cutting)