Happy Friday!! These Dairy Free Zucchini Waffles are a perfect weekend treat! Do you still have a ton of zucchini?? My Dad gave me a ton from his garden, but my garden did not produce any 🙁
My children do not love eating zucchini sautéed, baked or grilled, but they love zucchini muffins so I decided to try waffles with the extra zucchini I had and it was a hit! This recipe is super flexible:
It can be dairy free, gluten free or made into pancakes!
I tested them out with 3 flour combinations:
One of the variations uses oat flour to sneak in some extra nutrients and health benefits. If you don’t have a waffle maker – no problem – these make great pancakes as well!
This recipe bakes up a big batch and the whole thing comes together very fast in 20 minutes and you will have some whole grain or gluten free zucchini waffles for the freezer as well. This is a favorite breakfast, but we also enjoy using the leftovers for lunch!
Whole Grain Zucchini Waffles - Gluten or Dairy Free Adaptable!Print Pin Rate
- 2 cups of flour see note on flour variation
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup neutral tasting oil canola or avocado
- 1/8-1/4 cup pure maple syrup see note
- 1 cup milk milk of choice – I used unsweetened almond
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 medium zucchini
- Heat your waffle iron
- Using a hand grater (or food processer with shredder blade attachment) grate the zucchini on a paper towel and set aside
- In a large bowl whisk together flours, baking powder, salt and cinnamon
- Add in oil, maple syrup, milk, vanilla and eggs and whisk together until there are no lumps
- Fold in zucchini
- Using a large scoop add batter to hot waffle iron (My waffle iron used 4 scoops per waffle)
- Bake according to your waffle iron instructions
- Serve with your favorite toppings – ours are butter with cinnamon and sugar or maple syrup!