Zucchini has zero fat, and is high in water and fiber. It also has significant amounts of vitamins B6, riboflavin, folate, C, and K, and minerals (potassium and manganese). It is a summer squash that also contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory phytonutrients.
Other Health Benefits of Zucchini And Why You Should Eat It!
1. Improves digestion
Zucchini is high in water and has significant amounts of fiber, electrolytes, and other nutrients that are necessary for a healthy digestive system.
2. Slows down aging
Zucchini is rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory phytonutrients, which help rid the body of free radicals and excess inflammation that cause aging
3. Supports Healthy Circulation and a Healthy Heart
Zucchini is low in fat and sodium, but high in fiber and potassium. These properties help to maintain healthy blood circulation.
Low sodium and high potassium help to maintain healthy blood pressure while fiber, such as the polysaccharide in zucchini, lowers cholesterol levels.
4. Improves Eye Health
Zucchini is a good source of antioxidants and phytonutrients, including vitamin C, beta-carotene, manganese, zeaxanthin, and lutein. Zeaxanthin and lutein are especially useful in maintaining and improving eye health by fighting free radicals.
5. Boosts Energy
Because zucchini is a rich source of B-vitamins, especially folate, riboflavin, and B6, which can help to boost energy production in the body. These vitamins also aid in various brain functions including cognition.
Top 10 Favorite Recipes Using Zucchini
1. Dairy & Gluten Free Zucchini Bread from Food Play Go!
2. Taco Zucchini Boats from Eating Well
3. Zucchini & Wild Rice Side Dish – Coming on Wednesday!
4. 3 Healthy Zucchini Treat Recipes from Happy Kids Kitchen
5. Zucchini Waffles from Food Play Go!
6. Zucchini Smoothie – frozen zucchini is super yummy in a smoothie and you don’t really taste it – it is a great veggie to sneak into your kids smoothies! I have a recipe coming soon!
7. Zucchini Noodles with Mini Chicken & Feta and Spinach Meatballs from How Sweet Eats
8. Easy Grilled, Roasted or Sautéed Zucchini
- 1lb Zucchini – about 2 medium
- 1 TBS of Olive Oil
- 1 TBS of Trader Joes Everything Bagel Seasoning
9. Real Simple Pasta with Zucchini & Goat Cheese
10. Chocolate Zucchini Bread from Sally’s Baking Addiction – great sneaky recipe if your children love chocolate!!