Last week I shared one of MY favorite summer desserts, but this week is a family favorite – Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Cake! If you have followed me for some time now you will know that while we eat healthy we really love chocolate especially the boys. My children do not like sautéed, grilled or roasted zucchini but they do really love it in baked goods (Gluten Free and Dairy Free Zucchini Bread and Waffles). With the abundance of zucchini this time of year I thought it would be fun to create another baked goodie that we could all enjoy zucchini in. Especially because zucchini has so many healthy benefits which I shared here last year.
This healthy chocolate zucchini cake is decadent and moist but is made with healthy fats, less sugar and is loaded with zucchini. It has a gluten free/paleo adaptation and comes together super easily without a mixer. It really is the perfect summer chocolate cake!
The icing comes together with just 3 ingredients! It is vegan and paleo friendly and would be great on almost any treat. We also enjoy this with vanilla icing (not paleo) – you can see both options below.
I have made this as a small cake for just our family but also doubled it to make a bundt cake for a larger gathering. The notes section of the recipe has the conversion for the bundt cake.
This Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Cake is decadent and moist and a really delicious way to use eat zucchini! Click here to watch how it is made.
- 1 cup Flour or Gluten Free/ Paleo Version: 3/4 cup almond + 1/4 cup arrowroot
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup almond milk or 1/4 cup for gluten free / paleo version
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 heaping cup zucchini
Chocolate Frosting Option
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
Vanilla Frosting Option (not paleo friendly)
- 1 cup confectionary sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk add a little at a time
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 and line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper
- Grate zucchini and set aside
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt
- Whisk in cocoa powder and set aside
- In a separate bowl or large liquid measuring cup crack the egg
- Measure and whisk in the oil, milk and vanilla
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until thoroughly combined
- Fold in the zucchini and then fold in the chocolate chips
- Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for 22-25 minutes regular version or 18-22 minutes for the paleo/gluten free version. The cake is done when a tooth pick comes out clean or it bounces back when you touch it.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan
- While the cake is cooling make the frosting
- Measure and whisk together the ingredients (it should be thick)
- Pour or drizzle over cake - spread with spatula