These Quick and Easy Shortcut Fish Tacos make a great weeknight meal with less than 10 ingredients and are a crowd pleaser in our family! These tacos are made easy with frozen beer battered fish filets. I love having this meal for a busy night or as a flexible freezer meal on a night I am not positive I am going to cook.
It comes together with a minimum of 4-5 ingredients and the rest are optional (salsa, sourcream, lime, cilantro).
All you have to do is pop the fish in your oven, toaster, or air fryer and while they cook, prep your toppings. Then assemble and dinner is done with minimal effort in about 20 mins. I prefer to do these in my air fryer or toaster oven so I don’t have to wait for my oven to heat up. In the summer heat you can even pop them on your grill.
How to Serve:
My children like simple flour tortillas the best, but for a lighter take I enjoy it in a lettuce cup. We always serve with avocado / guacamole and a shredded Mexican cheese blend and then sometimes add some of these optional toppings:
- sour cream
- salsa (a peach or mango salsa is a fun addition here – Trader Joe’s sells a good one)
- an avocado creme sauce or cilantro aioli or dressing
- Take the time and make your favorite slaw – here is our favorite slaw recipe
If you bake the filets in the oven you could also make these into baked tacos – simply add the fish into a tortilla with cheese and then pop back in the oven and broil for about 5 minutes.
Make it a Complete Meal:
I often serve this with a simple salad on the side but you could also serve with:
- Corn (which can be easily made ahead)
- A slaw (also make ahead)
- A roasted veggie (such as brussels or cauliflower) with chili lime seasoning
How to make Gluten Free:
- Whole Foods sells Starfish gluten free beer battered fish that are good and Dr. Praegers makes these and some Pacific makes a version too but I have not tested them out.
- Use a lettuce shell or your favorite gluten free wrap. The Caulipower ones are good and Siete or just a regular corn one.
- 1.5 lbs or 24 ounces beer batter fish fillets
- Taco shells or tortillas of choice or romaine / bibb lettuce as a shell
- 1 cup Shredded Mexican Cheese
- 2 Avocados
- Sour Cream
- Your favorite slaw recipe - we love this ranch one
- A cilantro lime aioli or dressing for a fun drizzle
1. Cook Fish
- Heat oven to 425 degrees and line a sheet pan with parchment paper
- Lay out frozen fish filets onto sheet pan and cook according to package directions (will range between 18-25 minutes depending on the brand) they should be golden and crispy.
- For baked tacos: add the cooked fish into a tortilla with cheese and then pop back in the oven and broil for about 5 minutes.
Air Fryer Instructions
- 1. Cook 4-6 pieces (will depend on size of filets and size of air fryer) at 400 for 18-22 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining filets. Note: to cook all at once the oven is better. I like to do it in the air fryer when I don't have time for my oven to heat up and when we are eating at multiple times.
2. Assemble Tacos
- Option 1 - mash the avocado on the bottom on the tortilla lay fish on top, then top with cheese and your remaining desired toppings (salsa, sour cream cilantro, slaw, lime….)
- Option 2 - lay fish on the bottom of a tortilla or lettuce piece and then top with your desired toppings