This super fast side dish is naturally gluten free, filled with hearty wild rice, loaded with veggies and comes together in 15 minutes – what more could you want! It spotlights summer’s abundant and nutritious zucchini and tomatoes.
I like to cut the zucchini in half-moon and quarters when I sauté it (you could also grill them in a grill pan if you are grilling meat). Check out this video for a quick how-to or this video on how to have your kiddos help you chop your zucchini!
A Fast, Easy & Flexible Side Dish
This dish is a fun way to use the Long Grain & Wild Rice 90 second pack from Whole Foods. If you are shopping someplace else you can certainly make this with another brand as well. I have made it with regular wild rice too it will just take a little longer and is one more pan to clean at the end of the night which is why I love this shortcut to a fun dish!
My children do not love zucchini cooked or sautéed – they only like it baked into yummy items such as waffles, breads & muffins! When I make this dish I separate some of the rice, tomatoes, feta, and nuts for them and then add in the zucchini for us! They are still getting a hearty dish packed with juicy antioxidant filled tomatoes!
Adaptations for this Fast Wild Rice Side Dish
I love feta and always have it on hand, but you can certainly use another cheese- I think goat cheese would be super yummy as well!
I used walnuts because that is what everyone loves the best in our house, but any nut would work. If you don’t have or like walnuts I would suggest toasted almonds or pine-nuts.
If you adapt, let me know your favorite version to the fast weeknight wild rice and zucchini side dish!
- 1 package long grain brown & wild rice – 90 second microwave cooking
- 2 - 3 medium zucchini
- 1 cup of halved grape tomatoes
- 1/3- 1/2 cup feta
- 1 tsp salt divided
- 1 TBS olive oil divided
- 1/4 cup chopped and toasted walnuts
- basil optional
- Slice the zucchini – half moon or quarter pieces
- Heat a sauté pan to medium heat and add in a ½ TBS of olive oil, the zucchini and ½ tsp salt and cook until soft about 5-7 minutes
- While the zucchini is cooking, cook the rice according to package instructions and then pour into a small bowl and let cool for 5 minutes
- Cut the tomatoes in half and put in a medium bowl with the other ½ of TBS of olive oil and ½ tsp salt
- Toast & chop walnuts – see note
- When the rice has cooled slightly add and mix it with the tomatoes
- Add in the feta (see note 3)
- When the zucchini is done cooking, take it off the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes
- Add the zucchini to the tomatoes, rice and feta
- Mix in the walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Toast nuts before chopping them into smaller pieces.
- Place nuts on an un-greased shallow pan or a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with sides
- Bake 5 to 10 minutes or until they are golden brown
- Remove from pan to cool