This is yet another great and different use for all of the abundant summer zucchini! I was intrigued when Sweet Wholesome Baby posted about zucchini meatballs. I decided to make them and made some adaptations based on my families preferences. When everyone loved them I had to make them again so I could get the portions and the timing right and share with you! I love that the mild flavors of these meatballs seem to go well with a variety of sides.
We have had these over rice, pasta and spaghetti squash and I think they would also go well with gnocchi.
They have a short list of ingredients and you can do a shorter cooking time and finish them in your slow cooker with your favorite sauce if you have a busy afternoon of activities.
You can also halve this recipe, add your favorite veggies (and maybe some gnocchi ) to the pan and make it into a sheet pan dinner 🙌🏻
This really is a great alternative use for the zucchini and great meatball recipe here is why:
- The zucchini makes the meatballs super moist
- If you or your children don’t like zucchini on it’s own it’s a great alternative way to eat it and redeem its health benefits
- The mild flavors of these meatballs lend to a variety of dishes
- This recipe can be made into an easy sheet pan dinner
- This recipe makes a lot and can be used for 2 dinners in one week or frozen for the future
- These meatballs are gluten free
- This recipe can be adapted to be made dairy free and paleo / whole 30 friendly
- Lastly it is Kid Approved!
- 2 lbs lean turkey chop meat
- 1 cup shredded zucchini about 1 medium
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup ground flax seed
- 1/8 cup (2 TBS) Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- Pre-heat Oven to 400 degress
- Measure all ingredients into a medium mixing bowl
- Mix until thoroughly combined
- Use a large scoop (if you want) and measure and roll out meatballs onto a greased baking sheet
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes (until lightly browned) * see note for slow cooker instructions
- Enjoy with your favorite side!